Why Gnome?

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Thu Sep 16 06:13:00 UTC 2004

<quote who="Peter Finlayson">

> According to your site, gnome is the default WM/desktop environment. I am
> wondering why you picked it over KDE?

Hi Peter,

There are a few underlying reasons:

 * GNOME has demonstrated their ability to make reliable, stable, time-based
   releases, which fits in very well with our goals. In fact, our release
   schedule will be synchronised with GNOME's for the forseeable future. We
   like being able to deliver the latest desktop technology to users as soon
   as it's available.

 * We are pleased with the amount of third party support for integration
   with GNOME, from leading Open Source projects such as OpenOffice.org and
   Mozilla Firefox, which we also ship. This kind of integration and support
   is important for desktop users.

 * GNOME's focus on simplicity, usability and attention to detail fits well
   with what we'd like to achieve in a great desktop operating system.

 * Canonical employs a number of experienced GNOME developers to work on
   Ubuntu and GNOME itself.

Now, none of that means that we are not going to play well with KDE. In
fact, you'll be hearing more about that in the coming weeks! Stay tuned!

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/               Ubuntu!