multihead X

Ladislav Lhotka lhotka at cesnet.cz
Fri Oct 29 16:46:11 UTC 2004

V Pá, 29. 10. 2004 v 18:29, Keith Irwin píše:
> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 15:21 +0200, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> > I am wondering - is it possible to configure in warty multiple
> > independent heads (monitors, keyboards, mice) without patching the X
> > server?
>
> Hi lada--
>
> I'm betting it's possible, but not easy in the sense of having a nice
> graphical tool to do it for is a la Fedora and other distributions.

I already have a working setup for Gentoo but it requires patching the X
server (both XFree86 and X.org), see e.g.,
http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser
However, it's rather awkward to keep the patches in sync with system
updates.

> I'm going to google for xinerama and see if I can do it by hand.

Xinerama works out of the box and there are good howtos around.

Cheers, Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka
CESNET, Czech Republic