soundblaster live issue and wlan card.

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 19:58:31 UTC 2004

> I found that killing esd and restarting it with a paramater (cannot
> remember the format now, and am not a a Ubuntu box currently) to use
> /dev/dsp1 in stead of /dev/dsp solved that problem on a AMD box with
> onboard audio.  But that proved far too much effort.  Disabling the ac97
> device in the bios was a more reliable and permanent fix.

so I  disabled my AC97 device, and made sure that esd was running, but
i still get an error about the device being unavailable or in use.

I cat'ed a wav file directly to /dev/dsp1 and could hear it, so i know
alsa is loaded properly and my devices are working, but I'm still
having a problem.

Is it possible to create a link from /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1 so i don't
have to find every configuration file that's looking at /dev/dsp and
change it?  or is there an easy setting to make the gnome2 sound
server point at /dev/dsp1?

any tips here would be great. thanks!