Filesystem corrupted or hard disk gone bad?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at luukku.com
Thu Oct 28 18:54:58 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have a serious problem. I just tried to restart Ubuntu because Firefox wouldn't start. In the logout screen the only option was "logout" - no "restart" or "shutdown" button. I clicked OK to log out and Ubuntu moved to a non graphical state showing the following error message (translated from finnish - hope you understand):

Unable to start x-serv because of an internal error.
(The following part was partially off screen and written in english)
...ansaction: journal has aborted. Ext3-fs error (device hda1) in start_tr...

At this phase I reseted my computer and was able to boot as far as "starting grub" (or something) and "Error2". Every effort to boot since then has ended up to this same error message. I'm writing this e-mail using Knoppix. When I try to access the hard drive with Knoppix, I get the following error message:

Could not mount device
The error reported was:
Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1
,or too many file systems

I had just started my computer, when all this happened. At the previous start, Ubuntu did a file system check (saying it was x many times since the last check and so on, but I guess this is rutine). I checked the cables and they are connected.

Can you tell from this description, is it a problem with Ubuntu or is it the hardware (hard drive?). Do I have to tell you people that any help would be very much appreciated, but maybe this is a tough one even for the Ubuntu wonder team.

Ari Torhamo

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/