totem-gstreamer vs. totem-xine

nuopus ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Oct 28 00:46:42 UTC 2004

RichardA Wrote:
> I previously installed totem-xine (and Windows codecs) in place of
> totem-gstreamer. Upgrading from a pre-release Warty changed this back,
> but if I install totem-xine again, apt wants to uninstall both
> totem-gstreamer and ubuntu-desktop.
>
> Is this as bad as it sounds? How else can I get xine + codecs back?

For one, you don't need ubuntu-desktop. It is just a meta-package that
installs a bunch of apps that make up the ubuntu desktop. If you already
installed it then you don't need it anymore.

Second, when you install totem-xine it will get rid of totem-gstreamer
cuz you should have one or the other.

--
nuopus