Fwd: Auckland and booting with two Linux Distros

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Thu Oct 28 00:23:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 11:53:06AM +1300, Christoph Georgi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if been following this mailing list now for a while and do get very
> desperate on installing Ubuntu on my Notebook. However, I have limited
> internet access and can hardly download the image (and the CDs will not
> arrive for weeks..). Is there anyone using Ubuntu living in Auckland who
> could by any chance make me a copy of the image?! I'd really appreciate it..
>
> Secondly, I fear that with installing Ubuntu (and its Bootmanager) I'll
> loose access to my Debian installation.. Windows shouldn't be a problem;
> always worked out. I've already been searching for an howto on that
> issue, but couldn't really get my hands onto one. Maybe someone here
> knows how to boot multiple Linux Distros plus Windows?!
>
> Thanks
>
> Christoph

I have been running Debian (actually Libranet upgraded with a bunch of
stuff from Debian testing and unstable, etc.)  I recently installed
warty and edited /boot/grub/menu.lst so I could choose that, as well.
Here's the essential part of what I have in /boot/grub/menu.lst (Debian,
Ubuntu, BeOS and Win 98SE).  It works for me (YMMV).

Bob Nielsen

------------------------

default		0
timeout		10

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-k7
root		(hd0,6)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-k7 root=/dev/hda7 ro hdc=scsi vga=5
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-k7
boot

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-k7 (single user mode)
root		(hd0,6)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-k7 root=/dev/hda7 ro hdc=scsi vga=5 single
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-k7
boot

title		Ubuntu Linux on /dev/hdb1
root		(hd1,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-386 root=/dev/hdb1 ro vga=5
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-386
boot

title		Windows 98SE on /dev/hda1
rootnoverify	(hd0,0)