Can't dial-up :(

David david at kenpro.com.au
Wed Oct 27 02:14:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Neil Woolford wrote:

> It isn't there by default...  Before doing anything about that it might
> be worth going back to .../Networking and looking at the properties for
> your dial-up;  on the 'General' tab there is a button to autodetect your
> modem.  Try it and see what it sets...

I did this, and no modem was detected.

> The first step I'd take if autodetection fails is to get and run the
> 'scanModem' script from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/, which will try
> very hard to detect anything that could be a modem and give you
> information about how to configure it and your system.

scanModem gave me this:
Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 0000:00:10.1
  with vendor-ID:device-ID
            ----:----
Class 0780: 10b7:1007   Communication controller: 3Com Corporation Mini
PCI 56k
Winmodem (rev 10)
  SubSystem 10b7:615b   3Com Corporation: Unknown device 615b
        I/O ports at d000
        Memory at fbffd400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
 A PCMCIA modem is detected.

scanModem info suggests that 3Com is unsupported. Is that the end of the
road? Where do I go from here?

thanks...