Apt-get versus aptitude versus synaptic

Michael Vogt mvogt at acm.org
Mon Oct 25 12:22:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 10:47:09AM +1300, Pizbit wrote:
> Does this imply that synaptic keeps it's own internal record and
> doesn't use /etc/apt/preferences to pin packages?(I believe that's
> what it's done...)

Synaptic uses it's own pin file but it will honor the global pin file
in /etc/apt/preferences.

> I've used a mixture of apt-get and synaptic and I've never had
> problems, generally apt-get for quick'n'dirty, stuff I know and
> synaptic if I'm doing multiple things at once.

In general it's safe to mix the three programs. Only users of advanced
feature may experience small glitches (everything in synaptic that is
labeled "expert" may be a problem).

Cheers,
 Michael

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:33:17 -0400, David M. Carney
> <carney1979 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It should be no problem at all mixing those three programs - if you
> > > don't run them at the same time (though they would be complaining if you
> > > try it).
> > >
> > > Aptitude and Synaptic are, as far as I know, frontends for apt-get.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Lukas
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > I'm not so sure about this.
> >
> > Packages that I've placed on hold (so they won't be upgraded) with
> > aptitude do not appear to be on hold if I do a 'dpkg -l
> > <package-name>'.  They also do not appear as on hold in Synaptic.
> >
> > I think as long as you're installing or removing packages, you're OK
> > to use either or both (but not at the same time. This is not
> > possible.).
> >
> > But you need to remember that if you do "something special" with a
> > package in one package manager, the other may or probably will not
> > recognize this.
> >
> > David
> >
> > --
> > Registered Linux User #297958
> >

> > --

The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ