[OT] Booting into IBM Rescue and Recovery

Aroon Pahwa viperstyx at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 17:13:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:09:49 -0400, christophe barbe
<christophe at cattlegrid.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 03:56:19AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > The recovery CDs that they seem to send out will reformat your entire
> > drive and provide a new recovery partition - they don't just let you
> > boot into your existing partition (at least, I haven't been able to use
> > the set I have to do that...)
>
> So as long as grub is not able to boot it, we will end up with the
> same problem.
>
> On my X40, I have the same problem (plus I am not able to boot windows).
> I was planning to just convert both partitions to ext3.
> Is there something useful in the IBM recover tool? For the little I saw
> of it, it looks very windows centric.
>
> Christophe
>
> --
> Christophe Barbé <christophe.barbe at ufies.org>
> GnuPG FingerPrint: E0F6 FADF 2A5C F072 6AF8  F67A 8F45 2F1E D72C B41E
>
> As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.
> --Ellen Perry Berkeley
>

>From what I know, you're right.  The IBM recovery tools is built
around windows.  I don't mind this so much because i just want to have
a fail safe for reverting my system back incase i mess something up.
especially since this machine is so restrictive compared to a desktop
(ie.  i cant pop out my harddrive, stick it in another system and
format it if necessary).

in anycase, since we still dont have word on just how many cds the IBM
rescue and recovery thing is, you probably shouldnt trash that 4GB
partition.  The impression I got is that what i ordered is just one
cd.  it wouldnt make sense for them to send me the entire harddrive
partition on cds since they didnt verify whether or not i actually
owned a thinkpad.

anyway, ill report back when i get my cd(s) which should be tuesday or wed.

aroon pahwa
viperstyx at gmail.com