Gaim Security Upgrade 1.0.2

Darren Wheatley darren at tenjin.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 12:16:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > All three are related to MSN. I'm not sure if that means anything
though.

> Yes, there are some bugs here which need fixing.  We're investigating.
>
> > So consider this a question and a request. Is this the kind of thing
> > we'll see upgraded between major Ubuntu versions? If not, could it be?
> > :-)
>
> Yes, it'll be upgraded between releases...in the development branch. :-)
>
> In stable releases, we'll patch the security problems only.

More a process question really, but why wouldn't you fix a critical
functionality problem in the main branch?

I have found Gaim MSN to be flaky, and that's a problem for me as it is one
of my "must have" apps for work and home. Stability is key for me, so I
won't be upgrading to the development (Hoary?) release until just before it
goes gold.

Is the choice either stable-but-broken or unstable-and-fixed, or is there a
way to upgrade Gaim to the dev branch but leave everything else on the main
branch so that "apt-get upgrade" sucks everything else from the main branch
(apart from Gaim)?

Cheers

D.