I don't want to beat this to death, but...

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sun Oct 24 08:11:26 UTC 2004

Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> I installed Warty yesterday -- my first-ever foray in any Debian-based
> distribution. (I started on a large stack of Slackware floppies *way*
> back in 1994, but have mostly been a Red Hat/Fedora user since). I
> love it.

I have some not so fond memories of getting on my bike and riding
through the rain to university to get another copy of a disk out of a
disk set back in 1994. ;-)  a rite of passage in those days.

> However, Firefox 0.9.3? Yuck. I've gotten quite attached to the newer
> features, such as the RSS button (I use it to subscribe to my
> bookmarks on del.icio.us, for example).  I see others have installed
> it in home/$user/bin, but that's not really a solution. We have six
> other people using this computer (wife and kids) and I don't want to
> have to maintain this by hand for everyone.

/usr/local/bin would be a better place for a local package installation.

> Since I don't know anything about Debian, this may be a dumb question:
> Will I have to become a beta tester for Hoary before I can use the
> latest Firefox, or will I be able to stick to this nice stable base
> and pluck the latest version out of a development branch in a
> repository?

I think that when hoary development starts it's very likely to be
massively borked for a while. Large differences in libary versions might
make the use of binaries from hoary difficult.

It will be possible to backport packages by getting the source packages
from hoary and building them on your current system.

I am sure once hoary development starts at least one repository of
backports will be quickly available.

sparkes

--
<davee> "Sparkes, the Pete Best of LugRadio"