[OT] Booting into IBM Rescue and Recovery

Aroon Pahwa viperstyx at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 07:05:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:09:43 -0500, Kevin Ponds <kponds at gmail.com> wrote:
> Which thinkpad do you have? In mine (R40) i can access the hidden
> partition by just pressing the "Access IBM" key during the BIOS splash
> screen, no need to fool with a boot record.
>

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:50:51 -0400, Aroon Pahwa <viperstyx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Ubuntu has been my first real linux experience and while i love it, i
> > really need to dual boot between windows and linux for various win
> > software.
> >
> > IBM thinkpads come with a 4GB partition with IBM rescue and recovery
> > that you can boot into and then restore the default windows
> > installation.  i really need to boot into this because my laptop
> > doesnt have a cdrom drive.
> >
> > the problem is that when i installed linux i overwrote the master boot
> > record on hda0 when Ubuntu asked me to not knowing that i wouldnt be
> > able to boot into IBM rescue and recovery if i did so.
> >
> > the option to boot into IBM rescue and recovery still exists in the
> > Grub menu, but when i try to boot into it, booting fails after a bit.
> > its clear that the partition is intact.  does anyone know how i could
> > possible boot back into the IBM system?  anyone with an IBM thinkpad
> > and the latest IBM Rescue and Recovery system that didnt mush up their
> > MBR when they installed linux and can walk me through how i can boot
> > to the IBM system?
> >
> > any and all help is appreciated.  im trying to find more information
> > by calling IBM and using their online support as well.
> >
> > aroon pahwa
> > viperstyx at gmail.com
> > [invites for help!]

i have an X40.  i used to be able to do that before i installed
Ubuntu.  I never tried until now to get back in.  I went to read all
over the IBM website and i read somewhere that tools that make changes
to the MBR can disable the rescue and recovery system somehow.  i
rememered then that during the Ubuntu installed when it was formating
my partition to ext3 it asked me about installing grub to the MBR or
something like that.  i said ok.  which im pretty sure is what messed
things up.

so yeah, if anyone has a clue how i can boot to the rescue and
recovery system using grub, that would be helpful.  like i said
before, grub already had an entry for it and the system began booting
like normal into the recovery system and then fails just before it
looks like its going into the graphical mode with a stop error.

another weird thing is when i had the default windows install i could
press the access ibm button and it would go straight into rescue and
recovery, but after intsalling Ubuntu it would pull up a menu about
booting from a different source or going into the bios etc.

bah, help is deperately needed.