[OT] Booting into IBM Rescue and Recovery

Aroon Pahwa viperstyx at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 01:50:51 UTC 2004

Hey guys,

Ubuntu has been my first real linux experience and while i love it, i
really need to dual boot between windows and linux for various win
software.

IBM thinkpads come with a 4GB partition with IBM rescue and recovery
that you can boot into and then restore the default windows
installation.  i really need to boot into this because my laptop
doesnt have a cdrom drive.

the problem is that when i installed linux i overwrote the master boot
record on hda0 when Ubuntu asked me to not knowing that i wouldnt be
able to boot into IBM rescue and recovery if i did so.

the option to boot into IBM rescue and recovery still exists in the
Grub menu, but when i try to boot into it, booting fails after a bit.
its clear that the partition is intact.  does anyone know how i could
possible boot back into the IBM system?  anyone with an IBM thinkpad
and the latest IBM Rescue and Recovery system that didnt mush up their
MBR when they installed linux and can walk me through how i can boot
to the IBM system?

any and all help is appreciated.  im trying to find more information
by calling IBM and using their online support as well.

aroon pahwa
viperstyx at gmail.com
[invites for help!]