Thought about speeding up startup...

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Fri Oct 22 18:10:24 UTC 2004

hi,
Am Freitag, den 22.10.2004, 10:44 -0700 schrieb Matt Zimmerman:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:28:50AM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > what about splitting the up pci database in categories, hotplug as well
> > and then run the different categorized hotplugs as threads in parallel ?
>
> Parallelizing the loading of modules into the kernel strikes me as
> unnecessarily risky.  I'm not sure that the kernel can actually load two
> modules simultaneously either.
hmm, wouldn't the kerneld take care of that ? as i understand it hotplug
only issues a modprobe command and even if you had to take care for a
modprobe delay from the hotplug side it would still speed up the
database searches.
this could probably be something similar to a sql parser (way smaller
indeed) on top of flatfile tables (i'm still consideing if this sounds
silly or is to bloated for the task :)).

ciao
	oli

--
got ubuntu ? --------------> GET UBUNTU !!!