warty-release-install-ppc on ibook g3

Tony tony.kruse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 02:51:26 UTC 2004

I performed a clean install of the release version of warty on my
600MHz G3 iBook, hoping the issue with the awake from (lid close)
sleep might be resolved.  Result: the ibook appears to go to sleep properly
but on waking the screen is black with the following output...

eth1: Airport entering sleep mode
eth0: suspending, WakeOnLan disabled
radeonfb: suspending to state: 2...
radeonfb: switch to D2 state...
cpufreq: resume failed to assert current frequency is what timing core
thinks it is.
radeonfb: switching to D0 state...
radeonfb: resumed !
eth1: get_wireless_stats() called while device not present
enable_irq(27) unbalanced
enable_irq(28) unbalanced
eth0: resuming
eth1: Airport waking up
eth1: New link status: Connected (0001)

After which, I am unable to proceed or get another console and must
hard reboot.

Otherwise, it appears to be working well.  Airport card (pre-extreme)
works.  With the sleep problem fixed, I believe Ubuntu will be my
preferred PPC distro over Yellow Dog Linux, which I have used for a couple
of years.

I have Ubuntu running on my Athlon box for a few weeks now and I am
very happy with it, replacing Fedora as my desktop.

I don't know how difficult it would be, but a PPC live cd would be
very beneficial to the PPC community to demonstrate to Mac users
Ubuntu's (and Linux's) capabilities.  So far, I have not found (any)
Linux Live CD yet that succeeds in running with X on my ibook or
yosemite G3.  Gentoo live CD would boot, but I could not get X to
work.  I don't believe I could get Knoppix PPC to even boot.

Mostly happy :^/