What do you like best about Ubuntu?

Chris ubuntu at functionalfuture.com
Wed Oct 20 21:39:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 13:58 -0700, George Farris wrote:
> The windows boot time is actually not correct. Even though Windows
> "looks" like it has booted it is still unusable for some seconds after,
> due to the continued boot in the background.

Not true.  In 17 seconds my system is usable and just a couple seconds
later I was already using Visual Studio.  The GUI was usable as soon as
it came up.

It does take a few more seconds to initialize all my USB devices like
the scanner.  However, that's exactly what I was talking about for
Linux.  Put less important stuff in the background so the system can
become usable faster.  Most of the time you don't need that background
stuff to be running right away anyway.  You do want the GUI running
right away though.

For example, if I can be logging into GDM while the network starts in
the background that would be perfect.  I have to take time to login so
the system might as well use that time to do stuff.  The linear way it
is done now is not making efficient use of time and system resources.

--
// Chris