Howto - Install vmware tools in Ubunto (VMware 4.5) + co

jdecarlo ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Oct 20 15:24:27 UTC 2004

Chris,

I tried your instructions and wanted to thank you for them.  I actually tried /dev/input/mouse0 (after all, I had to pick either that or mice), and so far it seems to work.  Any idea what the difference is?

Also, I did a uname -a and found I was running 2.6-686, so instead of doing apt-get install linux-headers-2.6-386, I did it for linux-headers-2.6-686.

Plus, the install script asked for the location of the headers, assuming they were in /usr/src/linux/include - which did not exist in my setup.  I should have set up a link, but instead I just typed in /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-686/include instead (after snooping around to see what was there that matched the kernel I was running).

I did what the VMWare help suggested for mounting (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt) and it worked fine for me.  I am not sure whether it makes a difference about SCSI or IDE cdroms, as hopefully /dev/cdrom points to the right place.  )

All your other instructions were exactly right for me.

Thanks again and hope this helps.