Please try to get it right in future

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Tue Oct 19 01:56:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:46:00AM +0800, John wrote:

> I've noticed that dpkg is prone to running out of disk space. In
> contrast, rpm checks first, and if it dont' fit it won't try.

apt already performs such a check, but it can't be more than a simple sanity
check, since the amount of space required to install a package can vary:

- From one system to the next, due to differing block sizes, etc.
- From one package to the next, or even one install run to the next,
  depending on maintainer scripts and the state of the system

> It's a something someone should add sometime:-)

If it has some mechanism for determining a priori the amount of disk
space which will be required, I am interested in the design.  If not, it
probably isn't doing anything that we don't already do.

Thanks, though.

--
 - mdz