Please try to get it right in future

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Tue Oct 19 01:46:00 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 11:21:38PM +0300, Andy Jarvis wrote:

> My first guess would be that the upgrade failed for some reason (perhaps you
> ran out of disk space), but you didn't notice, and rebooted anyway,
> resulting in a broken system.  This has happened to other users in the past.

I've noticed that dpkg is prone to running out of disk space. In
contrast, rpm checks first, and if it dont' fit it won't try.

It's a something someone should add sometime:-)

>>When I requested further help, such as whether there exists a boot floppy
>>image from which I could repair the problem or whether the Ubuntu install
>>process has been fixed to allow non-destructive install (i.e. a repair
>>rather than complete re-install) I was met with utter silence.
>

> I regret that the support that you received at no cost has not been
> sufficient for your needs.  Paid support options are available if you
> require a higher level of service.

Calm down Matt. Probably Andy didn't mean it just the way you understood
him.

>>The simple facts are these. You can, under the partitioning section of the
>>install, select to use an existing Linux partition without formatting, but
>>the install WILL fail. So my problem could only be "solved" by a total
>>re-install of Ubuntu Linux. I lost all existing data and configuration
>>information.
>

> That is not the only way to solve the problem, but it was the simplest for
> you.
>

>>There has been no other solution offered. And as far as I can tell, it was
>>all caused by a rogue release to the repository of a new version of the
>>Linux kernel.
>

> No, it was not.
>

>>My point with all this is that there remain some significant problems to
>>be resolved. I very much hope that they will be resolved and I look
>>forward to the day when I can truly depend on my Ubuntu installation as my
>>OS of preference. So far I have had 4 of the releases since the first back
>>in mid-September, and have carried out 4 complete installations on the
>>same machine, indeed the same partition. If I am to be able to rely on
>>Ubuntu, I should never have to carry out a 5th install, but hope very much
>>to be able to maintain an ongoing update process to keep my system
>>current.
>

> Not a single other Ubuntu user has reported such a problem to my knowledge,
> and your account has not contained enough information to diagnose the
> problem.  Unfortunately, no one is currently available to walk you through a
> more detailed debugging session.

An important point many here have missed is that up till now, Unbuntu
has been strictly betaware.

However well it works (or doesn't work), the only sensible use for
betaware is testing.

If you use betaware for any more than that then you accept the
consequences. There is nobody to sue except yourself.

I repeat, you use betaware for real work only on your own cognisance.