backing up /home

Bo Rosén brosen at bredband.net
Mon Oct 18 18:54:55 UTC 2004

mån 2004-10-18 klockan 20.39 skrev dave:
> If /home is on its own partition, why not just leave it alone?

Well the partition has gone through several different installations and
there is probably more than one file not needed anymore cluttering up
the place.

> ok, I just re-read your message. Is it because of the new HD? You might

This is the main reason. I got a cheap 80 Gb disk which should be more
than enough to hold everything apart from /home and a 120 Gb which has
several partitions, /home among them. I just wanted repartition the 120
into one partition and put /home there. Perhaps /swap as well.

So, I though I'd just burn /home and then copy over the files I needed
back into ubuntu. The box only has the one user and few services above
what a standard home desktop might use, so there are few system files to
save.

I was mostly worried that dot-files (say .gnupg) would be ignored by
growisofs/mkisofs, but reading the man page that doesn't seem to be the
case.

Thanks,
	Bo
--