Community response of new ubuntu artwork

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:50:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:23:25 +0200, Karsten Fischer <kfischer at bfki.net> wrote:

> is because the screen reminds me of the nearing winter around here. I envy
> this guy...)
>  :) You could put me on THAT list as well...

Me too. It was spitting snow last night here in Michigan. :-(

It seems to me that the overwhelming majority of people who want the
default theme changed, believe so because of it's potential
inappropriateness in the workplace/school/church/etc. I've really not
seen many people say, "these graphics are horrible. i'm terribly
offended." Most are saying, "the graphics don't offend me personally,
but I can't/won't use them because of "x" situation." I really don't
see a major dividing line between offensive/inoffensive.

There is obviously everyone's cultural differences too. I've seen
several people from different regions point out that they can see
naked people at the beach or on TV*. Unless I've been living in a
cave, those two things don't happen very often in the United States -
or at least nowhere near where I live (Detroit, Michigan).

*Cable TV excluded.

So the real issue isn't really about who's offended and who's not,
it's about making an acceptable compromise so Ubuntu can have as large
a target audience as possible.

Hopefully in this light, it will disarm some of the
moral/ethical/religious arguments during the meeting today. :-)

Now... I'm going to REALLY try to keep my mouth shut on the subject
until the meeting (which I've stayed up all night for so I don't sleep
through it). Hehe. I'm going to make more coffee.

--
Aaron