Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Karsten Fischer kfischer at bfki.net
Mon Oct 18 11:23:25 UTC 2004

Am Montag, den 18.10.2004, 04:36 -0500 schrieb Poldi:

> I really didn't want to add anything to this thread, but to avoid the
>  impression that a majority of community member is opposed to this
>  theme

My thoughts exactly after reading the huge discussion.

> - I like it.

> - especially the login-screen shows people clothed like I see them on the street around here (in summer, that is. if I am
>  at all angry about this it is because the screen reminds me of the
>  nearing winter around here. I envy this guy...)

:) You could put me on THAT list as well...

Now, seriously, after reading every mail still available in this thread
I'd like to point out two observations:

        1.    I can hardly see somebody who actually is offended by the
        artwork. Most seem to state that there might be others who might
        be offended. There is even a term in my language which describes
        this kind of behaviour: 'vorauseilender Gehorsam', which is best
        translated as: 'premature obedience', no offence meant. Alas, I
        might not be able to understand those who state that they are
        indeed offended by the pictures, I am really sorry. But in some
        of the posts i read '...if they had some clothes on...': What
        are you think they are wearing? Toothpaste (sorry if that may
        sound offensive, but did you ever happen to be at your local
        beach during summer time? )? It still is a sad thing if a
        picture like this is perceived as sexual offending - maybe a
        statement of the photographer might be helpful. Nevertheless, I
        truly believed that the kind of social oppressive societies
        which in turn do produce a perception like this in its members
        wouldn't exist anymore, in our secularised societies at the very
        beginning of the 21st century. Sadly, it seems this belief was
        pretty naive. But there is one thing I'd like to remind
        everybody on this list of: If we always strive for the least
        common denominator, we will always gain just that, nothing more.
        "If you want to go to the moon, reach for the stars". The
        picture is a reminder of what is Linux all about: people, not a
        single person but humans doing something together. Because they
        like it. Because doing something for other people is
        satisfying.

        2.    I wonder why nobody did argue about one of the messages
        the pictures are telling. Cooperation instead of competition.
        Surely this could be perceived as an attack on the very 'holy
        grail' of current economics. Somebody up for the challenge?

I look forward to the discussion today.

> kind regards,
> Carsten Hintz

Regards,