Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Michael Brandtner michael.brandtner at gmx.de
Sun Oct 17 16:36:38 UTC 2004

Am Sonntag, den 17.10.2004, 16:01 +1000 schrieb David:

> The original default Ubuntu was excellent, probably the best I've seen on
> ANY gui, any OS. It produced a uniformly good response from everyone I
> showed it to, young or old, male or female.

It was good, but very common.
There's nothing special on it.

> PLEASE don't wreck a good thing for no good reason.
>
> What's more, the picture IS offensive to some cultures. Leave it out. Make
> it an option. Give instructions how to install it. Anything. But why
> offend people for no good reason? That's just being insensitive, and it's
> pretty obvious from the list reaction that lots of us are bothered by
> that.

It's always an option.
If you don't like it - change it.
It's quite simple.

The "Benetton-Style" human-artwork *is* special. I've never seen a
comparable default-theme in any other distribution.
If there are some people offended, who cares?

(--- ATTENTION Offending art when following the links! ---)

This people are offended by Justitia's naked breasts, Rubens-Portraits
 (http://www.wga.hu/art/r/rubens/42portra/04furcoa.jpg), famous artwork
from Michaelangelo
(http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/michelangelo/michelangelo.creation.jpg, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:David_1.jpg) and a lot of other great and famous things, too.

Always remember, we are talking about art
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art) and *not* porn
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porn).

> If anybody wants to put pics of their family or their favourite film star
> or their pet cat on their computer, that is an individual decision and to
> be encouraged. I wouldn't have that picture on my desktop, not because
> it's objectionable (it isn't to me) but because it clutters the desktop.
> On my desktop, I want something attractive that DOES NOT INTRUDE. I would
> remove that picture. The original logo/theme was perfect.. aesthetic and
> practical (and inoffensive).

I've just installed the RC, there's no picture on the desktop, just the
Ubuntu-Sign in the right corner.

Most people are thinking of "technicians", "freaks" and "commandolines"
if you tell them about linux.
Most distribution are boring themed, lots of pinguins, kde, gnome, gnu
or whatever acronyms.
Ubuntu is different, it shows people and talks about humanity. The
login-lcreen is themed with three young people with different gender and
skins holding their hands to *show* ubuntu, to make it a little bit
visible.
The login-screen is an eye-catcher. My girlfriend and other friends
showed a positive and interested reaction.
It's a great success and it's different!

For my sake give the models t-shirts next time, but in some cultures is
every unveiled woman offending.
Should Ubuntu just show veiled women?
(http://www.angelfire.com/sd/AnisahDavid/Arabian/page13.html)

Michael