Community response of new ubuntu artwork

Ubuntu Forums Post list at ubuntuforums.org
Sun Oct 17 05:30:41 UTC 2004

The fact that there is controversy indicates how few differences there are in this aspect of other Linux distributions. While the rest of the world has satisfied themselves with blue, with penguins, butterflies, lizards, and the like, Mr. Shuttleworth and his colleagues have closen a powerful tool with which to bring humanity into the computing picture, both literally and metaphorically.

If one doesn't like murder, don't commit it; if one doesn't like abortion, don't get one; if one doesn't like a computer's desktop photograph, chose a different one. One will find that one is still in the same world, on the same planet and, with the exception of Mr. Shuttleworth and a few others, no one I know has exceeded those limitations.

But, because of the bravery of people such as Mr. Shuttleworth, who show us extrordiary things can be done, perhaps some day we'll even be able to change to a different celestial body than the one to which we are currently shackled.

The Sistine Chapel, Hindu dioramas, Egytian ruins, and many old public government buildings in many countries are adorned with the vagaries of the human form. Christ is portrayed as a scantly-clad figure on the cross.

Our challenge is not to decide what humans looks like, but how to coexist with all the marvelous varieties we see. We may be, after all, the only eyes that the Universe has produced to look back upon itself. Yet we find it difficult to look at each other.

Computers are made for complex communication and complex communication is a uniquely human gift.

Wisely used, complex communication can change the outcome of the Twenty-first Century.

To argue small things in not a step in the right direction.

Toward peace,
Wil