apt-get upgrade woes

Darren Wheatley darren at tenjin.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 23:37:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu a little while ago and it has been rock solid.

This evening I ran a "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get upgrade". When I
restarted my PC I got a lot of XFree errors, and XFree wouldn't start.

The errors are related to a missing keyboard mapping, missing screen
mapping, and a bad xf86ConfigHandle (or something similar....!) file.

One question: I ran "apt-get upgrade" while running Gnome. Should I have
killed XFree before running the upgrade? If so, what is the best way of
doing that?

It looks like I need to reinstall Ubuntu now. It would be great to know how
to upgrade properly before the final Warty release comes out.

Cheers

D.