Ubuntu community meeting on artwork: Monday 18 October, 1400 UTC on #ubuntu

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 17:25:33 UTC 2004

Chris Jones wrote:

> In some ways I think this decision is going to be an interesting test of
> Ubuntu. I think it's pretty clear that there's nothing *wrong* with the
> picture - it's tasteful

That's an over-simplification - not everyone would agree with your
definition of wrong, or tasteful. Some people would say (and it's not
just "prudishness" or "Victorian values") that any display of nudity
(i.e. the splash screen), explicit or not, is wrong and tasteless.

>  but there are various levels of "moral
> conservatism" that affect opinions on openly showing images like this.

Exactly - but those "moral conservatives" believe that things like this
are wrong and tasteless.

We will not be able to agree on _right_ or _wrong_ in this discussion -
let's not try - just what is _acceptable_ or _appropriate_ for Ubuntu -
which I think was actually your point! Just wanted to remind everyone
that _some_ people think this is wrong.

Andy