switching from win to ubuntu

Brett K ubuntu-users at valx.mailshell.com
Sat Oct 16 16:53:23 UTC 2004

On Saturday 16 October 2004 at 11:38-0400, speel one wrote:

> 2.i plan on getting an ipod soon and with itunes it keeps
> everything organised and what not and i wanna know if there
> is somthing like that on linux

I'm on OS X and have been using iTunes and an iPod for years.
Ubuntu installs Rhythmbox by default. It is _very_ much like
iTunes in its interface design and music organization (so much
so that I fear it will have a problem once Apple's iTunes
interface patent goes through).

I share my iTunes Music Library through an NFS share so I can
listen to it on my Ubuntu machine. But, to my knowledge, you
can't sync an iPod with Rhythmbox. I suppose you could just
mount it as a hard drive and copy all your music back and
forth. If you buy music from the iTunes Music Store, you won't
be able to play it in Rhythmbox (unless you re-encode it or
break the DRM on it).

Since, in my opinion, Apple has the best digital music solution
right now between iTunes, iPod, and the iTunes Music Store. I
would like to see them make it Linux compatible so it is at
least an option.

I'm sure there are many who disagree with Apple's music
policies, but I'm just giving the state of affairs--don't shoot
the messenger. :-)

Brett