XFree86 vs. XOrg

Jan Morén jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Sat Oct 16 04:31:52 UTC 2004

fre 2004-10-15 klockan 21:13 -0700 skrev Matt Zimmerman:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 12:47:48PM +0900, Jan Morén wrote:
>
> > IDKWITA (I Don't Know What I'm Talking About), but I am a little
> > surprised that you've determined that it was less work to backport a hue
> > amount of fixes to 4.3 was less effort than working to stabilize X.org
> > (especially considering that it has gotten fairly wide testing in other
> > distros already).
> >
> > Out of curiosity, what factors did determine this?
>
> This decision was based primarily on the level of packaging and integration
> work needed, rather than issues with the code itself.  We already had solid
> XFree86 packages to work from, while X.org was not even packaged in Debian
> format yet.  Being a huge piece of critical infrastructure for our desktop,
> we made a decision to stay with the tried-and-true XFree86 for the Warty
> release, and dive into X.org for Hoary, where we'll have more time for
> testing and stabilization.

Ah, sorry, forgot about the Debian connection :/ You didn't have to
start out with the pristine sources from xfree86.org.

Thanks.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden