XFree86 vs. XOrg

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sat Oct 16 04:13:04 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 12:47:48PM +0900, Jan Morén wrote:

> IDKWITA (I Don't Know What I'm Talking About), but I am a little
> surprised that you've determined that it was less work to backport a hue
> amount of fixes to 4.3 was less effort than working to stabilize X.org
> (especially considering that it has gotten fairly wide testing in other
> distros already).
>
> Out of curiosity, what factors did determine this?

This decision was based primarily on the level of packaging and integration
work needed, rather than issues with the code itself.  We already had solid
XFree86 packages to work from, while X.org was not even packaged in Debian
format yet.  Being a huge piece of critical infrastructure for our desktop,
we made a decision to stay with the tried-and-true XFree86 for the Warty
release, and dive into X.org for Hoary, where we'll have more time for
testing and stabilization.

--
 - mdz