folders permissions

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at luukku.com
Fri Oct 15 23:09:17 UTC 2004

pe, 2004-10-15 kello 16:41 +0300, andrei kirjoitti:

> How change folder permissions (include subfolders)?
> I know, that I can press right mouse button and change permissions, but
> permissions change only for one folder. In KDE Konqueror was function to
> select "change in subfolders too" (or something like taht), but in gnome
> I didn't find this function.

It doesn't seem to be possible to change permissions this way in
Nautilus, which is suprising, as this is such a basic task one would
want to accomplish with a file manager. I asked about this a while ago
at gnomesupport.org and was told that this has been reported to Gnome
Bugzilla.

So, the only way to change permissions to a directory and all the
subdirectories at the same time is to use the command line. Perhaps you
already know that the command for changing file permissions is "chmod".
You need to use -R option to get the change to affect the
subdirectories. If you want to change the file ownership, the command is
"chown", again with the option -R. Here is a link for detailed
instructions on how to use these commands:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_04.html

It would be interesting to hear from Gnome people why this feature is
not present in Gnome (yet?). Is it because it's difficult to implement
for some reason, or is it because it's not considered so important?

Ari

P.S. Thanks for all the people who work to develop Gnome and Ubuntu, I
really appreciate your work (and the results :)