The theme issue: in search of a solution

Fabio Mora fabio.mora at fastwebnet.it
Fri Oct 15 10:28:52 UTC 2004

Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:

> Many people have made it very clear that they see real deployment
> issues with Ubuntu if it uses it's present artwork, whether they
> object to it personally or not. I think we have established the
> various viewpoints quite clearly now, but I wonder if we can start
> looking at possible solutions?
>
> It is also clear that the Ubuntu team invested a great deal of effort
> in this artwork, and most will agree that it is professionally done.
> They want to focus on real people and have arranged a photo-shoot and
> have had the graphics professionally prepared. They seem to be
> committed to it and happy with it as they have posted the GDM screen
> on their web page. That particular graphic is esp. symbolic since it
> directly explains the meaning of the logo.
>
> My guess is that most people object to the splash and wallpaper
> images, as they contain suggestions of nudity. Would it be possible to
> work out a partial solution that most people could be happy with?
>
> An example:
>
> 1. Revert the splash screen to the original plain design with a simple
> logo
> 2. Use the simple brown wallpaper with the logo (which I think is the
> default now)
> 3. Tone down the GDM screen, while keeping the basic imagery of the
> people.
>
> I've made a mock-up of what such a GDM might look like here:
> http://www.theopencd.net/ubuntu/GDMx2.png
>
> I would think that the current GDM screen is basically harmless, but
> it does rather tend to jump out at you. I think that with these
> changes, there should be no problem deploying it in companies,
> schools, or libraries. What do others think?
>
> - Henrik
>
> ---
> Just to clarify: I am not an Ubuntu developer directly, though I do
> have links with the project (Win-FOSS/LiveCD). I'm not speaking on
> behalf of Canonical on this topic now, but I would very much like to
> see a healthy community/project process.

I'm sorry, but I think that your .png does not fix the problem.

<polemic mode on>
maybe canonical has invested in professional photographer, I don't know,
but then they could find a more original idea to represent humanity (not
that, already definited "benetton"-like)
<polemic mode off>

;o)

why don't we come back to previous version and let the new one as a choice?

fab'