Ubuntu and speedtouch (udev problems?)

Elliot F. elliotf-ubuntu at gratuitous.net
Fri Oct 15 01:16:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 17:09 +0000, adel wrote:
> I have speedtouch 330 silver modem, in red hat 9 I use
> speedtouchconf.sf.net script that install driver, files and set itself
> to start at boot... no problems

Ubuntu is using udev, it looks like you'll need to muck with the config
to get it to create it.

I thought that udev was supposed to take a snapshot of /dev and keep
that for next boot, though..

I'm wondering if you have hotplug or the usb agents running?  I'm not
familiar with the speedtouch...  Is it a usb device?

> in Ubuntu running (install gcc first) ./speedtouchconf.sh says /dev/ppp
> not found, ok "mknod /dev/ppp c 180 0" then ./speedtouchconf.sh enter
> your informations et voila... you are online

Right, because you're creating the device that udev missed.

> after rebooting there no internet!!! even doing
> /usr/local/bin/speedtouch-start... it's says firmblah not found while
> you can find it there at /usr/local/share/speedtouch/boot.v123.bin

Maybe you're getting into a loop of the script needing the device before
it will install the modules?  What is the content of the
speedtouchconf.sh script?

> I did ./speedtouchconf.sh again (mknod /dev/ppp c 180 0 again)... enter
> informations again... online again... reboot... no internet... ok
> ./speedtouchconf.sh chat chat... reboot... not internet (no surprise)!
> this time I added "mknod /dev/ppp c 180 0" to speedtouchconf.sh, # to
> lines where script ask me for informations, add needed variables
> (ISP_LOGIN and so) then ./speedtouchconf.sh... wait... you are online
>
> the problem now... how can I explain that to mom?

Explain that you're working on the solution.