Re-mastering CD to change theme?

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 00:38:21 UTC 2004

Ben Edwards wrote:

> I was thinking of maybe using the artwork from the preview edition,
> would that cause Canonical a problem?  If not could someone say where
> the relevant images are stored on the CD.

That's what I was thinking of doing when I suggested the re-mastering
idea. I've already found the relevant files. They are in the
ubuntu_artwork package which is here on the CD:

.../pool/main/u/ubuntu-artwork

The locations within the data.tar.gz file within the package (and of
course by inference the locations on the hard disk) are:

/usr/share/pixmaps/splash
/usr/share/backgrounds
/usr/share/gdm/themes/Human

Benjamin Roe wrote:

> There is also the problem of what happens if the people you give the CDs
> to run apt-get upgrade and an updated theme package is downloaded,
> thereby restoring the defaults you're trying to avoid. I'm sure there
> must be some trick with package version numbers you can use to stop this
> happening.

If the worst comes to the worst, the quick and dirty solution would be
to add a script at bootup which checks and (if necessary) restores the
old ones. I've already got a rudimentary script which removes the images
  from an installation, restores the previous ones, and fixes the links.
I know this is a bit crude, and I do know I could just change the theme,
but I wanted to get rid of the images altogether in my case.

However, if it does come down to re-mastering the CD I'll need to do
some swatting up, and maybe ask for some help, as I've never tried to do
anything like that before. The principle is simple, but I've never so
much as rolled my own package to date so I've got a bit of learning to do!

Since it seems that several people would like the old images restored,
are there any volunteers to help with this should it become necessary?

Cheers

Andy Bovett