Default Theme

Richard Shortland rshortland at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 14 10:43:02 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tyler Willingham" <tyler-ubuntu at willowsys.com>
To: <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 3:07 PM
Subject: Default Theme

Brett Kirksey wrote:

>Whether you or I like it or not, there are entire cultures that
>believe women should remain covered almost entirely (ever been
>to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc.?). That is probably where you will
>find a big problem.

Hi my name is Paula,
Me and Richard have been following this and I wanted to give you my two
pence/ two cents worth.
The first thing I will say is that I am a mother and I work for a film
production company and I have a say in the software that we use.
Now you know a bit about where I am coming from with this opinion I will
start. I love the new look to the default theme I think that it is inventive
and clever and some beautifully taken pictures. ( All thought I would have
used an Asian in it instead of two white people. ) If anything it is not
multi-cultured enough. I also read the what seems to be the pre-runner to
this, erotic wallpaper. I think the idea of kids for the screen would be
good to but if you did it that way you would be better using boys and girls
all dressed the same and holding hands.  I also think that it is better than
the plain and quite frankly boring theme before. I also have no problem with
my daughter seeing and using it. ( She does like the picture, She said it is
pretty. Well she is only three. ) As I want her to be proud of her body and
not ashamed of it.

But now I come to the business side, I would use this at work and all the
guys would love it. ( maybe a bit too much, they might not get much work
done. Ha Ha. ) but I think that is more because the girls are pretty. I
don't think that it is an erotic wallpaper. but the strong point has been
made about how this would be viewed in different cultures and to be honest I
thing that while individually will like and accept the pictures they will
not say that to their peers and that is where the problem will be because
people will want to be seen as true to their culture and so you will find
people will not what to use it for those sort of reasons.

As a marketing ploy I think that this is not quite up there with Benetton
but you all seem to think it is but really it is very mild. But at the end
of the day as you the users have not liked the idea then maybe it should be
re thought and changed, Maybe to kids, but please not the boring look you
have before I have now seen that you can do better so please keep going, and
keep this theme as an option for the people who do like it.

Hope that this gives you all something to think about.

Paula