[WIFI] Connection impossible

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Thu Oct 14 08:21:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 07:53:26PM +0200, Eric SCHAEFFER wrote:
> Le mardi 12 octobre 2004 à 15:31 +0200, Emmanuel SCHRODER a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's been weeks since I'm fighting with my laptop to get my wifi working at
> > school... with no success so far. I gave up on mandrake, and then I changed
> > to ubuntu. I like so far, especially since it includes my wifi card module.
> > My wifi card is a Intel Pro 2200 BG.  But it still doesn't work.
>
> I've got the same card, and it works.
>
> Here's my config (/etc/network/interfaces):
>
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>         name Carte WiFi
>         wireless_essid  (my essid)
>         wireless_key    (my wep key)
>         wireless_mode   Managed
>         wireless_ap     any
>
> It seems that you must call "iwconfig eth1 key on" after setting the key
> if you do it manually.
> Why do you try to set the WEP key as an ascii password ("s:"), and set
> the security mode ("open").
> I let the driver search for this settings and it works. If you don't put
> the wireless settings in the interface file:
>
> iwconfig eth1 key XXXXX...XXXX
> iwconfig eth1 key on
> ifup eth1

I have tried this on a Netgear MA401 but I have the same problems as
the ones described by the original message:  No network when I try to
use DHCP (with the same type of error messages).

However, I can get the networking going when I use a static
configuration.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "I delight to do thy will, O my God; yea, thy law is
      within my heart."             Psalms 40:8