Default Theme

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at gotadsl.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 21:32:32 UTC 2004

Kevin Krumwiede wrote:

>I think you're reading far too much into this "Ubuntu concept" idea.
>It's a user-friendly Linux distro, not a social revolution.

No, I think you're underestimating the project, by saying it's just a
Linux distro. It may be just a Linux distro to you, but probably not to
it's founder, Mark. Look up the Shuttleworth Foundation. He has a long
track record of philanthropic activity, mainly focused on education,
long before he started Ubuntu.

>Photographs are a bad idea for the default theme, period.  Whoever came
>up with this idea and implemented it without asking for feedback first
>is extremely out of touch with the Ubuntu user base, not to mention
>mainstream social and cultural sensitivities.

Well, it was developed by the project leadership, headed by the
project's founder. You are assuming that they don't understand Ubuntu's
user base, but that has yet be be seen. We all agree that the team has
done an amazing job with the distro so far (technically and generally),
so I think it's a fair bet that they know their marketing stuff too. We
are certainly not the bulk of the future user base, we are merely early
adopters.

- Henrik