Default Theme

Kevin kevin_wixted at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 18:00:45 UTC 2004

I too was a little surprised by the new default theme after I ran an update this
morning.  I can fully appreciate the sensibilities of those who object to the
subject matter of the images.  Personally, after a few moments of considering
the images in light of the Ubuntu message of humanity and community, I found the
images to be expressive and approriate to the message being conveyed.  That
being said, I fully plan on replacing both the GDM splash and the desktop
background with something more neutral.  My prime motivator for making the
change is that I don't want to have to answer my eight year old's inevitable
question "Daddy, why are those people naked on your computer?"

In summary, I appreciate the artistic quality of the new theme and respectfully
suggest that it be made avaiable as a selectable theme, but __should not__ be
the default theme for our beloved Ubuntu. For a replacement, I suggest either
the previous default or the images currently on the Wiki.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to express my opinion.  And thank you
most of all for providing an excellent distribution of Linux.  I am shrinking my
Windows partition on my laptop as I write this and will be installing the latest
daily iso for testing purposes.  Thanks again.