Wireless Network

Darren Critchley darrenc at telus.net
Wed Oct 13 14:49:55 UTC 2004

Peter Bracken wrote:

> Hi,
>
> <SNIP>

> The only problem I'm having is that I don't seem to be on the network!
> I can't ping any other computers (there are 2 other windows machines
> plus an access point).
> I've given my machine the IP address 192.168.1.4 which fits in with
> the other computers' IP addresses and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the essid is set incorrectly,
> what should this field be?
> What about WEP? Is there a setting for that somewhere? I should still
> be able to at least ping the other machines shouldn't I?

Make sure that when you configured wlan0 that you set the SSID to the
same one that you entered into your wireless access point.
(log into your access point and find out what the SSID and whether you
enabled encryption - NOTE: if you have neither of those running, it
might be a good idea to turn them on to keep your neighbours out.). Also
make sure that you have not turned on ACL's - this is a list of
"allowed" ip addresses, which means only addresses in the list are
allowed to access the network.
Also if you have turned WEP (Wireless encryption) on, you will need to
add the key to the wlan0 as well. Both are done through the network
admin program that you have already used to enable the wireless card.

Hope that helps
Darren