Accessing the internet with a Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem

Nuno Ferreira nuno.ferreira at graycell.biz
Mon Oct 11 16:15:50 UTC 2004

I have such a modem, and to configure it to access the net using PPPOE,
I needed to download the following packages from universe:
speedtouch
pppoe
br2684ctl

Could you add these to the CD so that it is possible to have a working
installation without other means to access the net?
Also needed is the firmware file, but I don't know if you are allowed to
ship it or not.

A last issue, configuring linux to use such a modem for the first time
is not a trivial task, is there, or are you planning to provide in the
future a simpler way to do it?

I've already done it before so it was easy, but here is what's needed, I
think even someone with good Linux knowledge would not call it obvious,
let alone someone new to Linux/Unix:
* Download the above packages
* Copy the firmware file to /usr/local/lib/speedtouch
* Add user and password to the pap-secrets file
* Create  file /etc/default/speedtouch with the following line
NET_IF="pppoe"
* create a new interface in /etc/network/interfaces like this
iface pppoe inet ppp
        pre-up br2684ctl -b -c 0 -a 0.0.35
        provider dsl-provider
        post-down killall br2684ctl

* Edit dsl-provider to add
user <my_user>
pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I nas0 -T 80 -m 1452"

--
Nuno Ferreira