Linux Stand Alone Database?

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 12:10:56 UTC 2004

There is a need for a FileMaker/Access lookalike on the Linux desktop -
I think most people would (perhaps reluctantly) agree with this.

I think the real argument is about the implementation.

Non-geek (Joe public) users will want something that they just install
and it works - no worrying about front-end/back-end - no configuring
servers, no learning about SQL - i.e. like FileMaker or Access.

So am I agreeing with Brett? Not exactly.

The "*nix way" is to build things out of re-usable components, rather
than monolithic apps (though there are exceptions). I would imagine that
if I were to write an Access/FileMaker look-alike I would use an SQL
database as the back end - but try to hide it. I would try to make it so:

(a) The package for the front-end depended on the back-end SQL database
(whichever) so that it automatically installed it if required (and yes I
know there are ideological battles over what can/should be used here).

(b) The front-end automatically configured the back-end (with preferably
no user intervention!) - I realise this is not trivial but I imagine it
could be done with some creative thinking.

(c) The program never showed the user the back end - just behaved like a
stand-alone app (unless the user wanted otherwise of course).

Of course, someone _may_ choose to create something with its own
internal database engine - but I'm not convinced that there is any real
advantage to that - there are certainly disadvantages.

So, Brett - at the moment the answer is " No, we don't have any
cheeseburgers, but if we were to offer you something that looks, smells,
and tastes like one will you accept it?" - though having said that I
don't think that the substitute exists yet, either!

Not sure if this is a useful contribution to the discussion or will just
fan the flames, but I think people are simply trying to offer the best
we have at the moment - which (perhaps unfortunately) is not "real"
cheeseburgers!

Andy