No networking on iMac install

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 02:59:54 UTC 2004

I found the solution. In retrospect, I remember seeing this on the
list here a while ago.

For those that find this thread in the future, the fix in my scenario
was a module called "bmac". A "modprobe bmac" got the hardware working
and "ifconfig eth0 up" and "dhclient" got an IP address from the DHCP
server. I'm now applying the 256 upgrades that were available in
Synaptic. :-)

While it may have been mentioned in the past here, I sure couldn't
find any information about ethernet adapter chipsets on Apple's
website. Might this be a good thing to add to the wiki? I'd be happy
to add it if everyone thinks it's a good idea.

Aaron