Linux Stand Alone Database?

Jan Morén jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Mon Oct 11 02:54:00 UTC 2004

sön 2004-10-10 klockan 22:34 -0400 skrev Brett Kirksey:
> On Monday 11 October 2004 at 10:10+0800, John wrote:
>
> > Seems to me functionality is more important than implementation. There
> > are other aspects that will be important in various circumstancs:
> > similar user interface, convertability of data store amongst them, but
> > if the backend is ready to use after installation I don't see than an
> > integrated backend is one of them. . . . If "at present, there isn't a > FileMaker/Access type app on Linux, " what then?
>

> I walk into a restaurant . . .
>
> Me: Do you have cheeseburgers?
>
> Staff: You don't want a cheeseburger. We have something better than
> that.

[Entertaining simile shortened]

> Me: Could you please tell me if you have cheeseburgers or not?
>
> Staff: What if we don't have cheeseburgers?

You: Do you have cheeseburgers.

Staff: We do have hamburgers with cheese, yes. We're a bit different
than the restaurant you may be thinking of.

Me: Um, ok, do you fry on a square griddle or in a round pan?

Staff: well, what does it matter? The end result is the same.

Me: it's important. I could never eat a burger fried in a round cooking
utensil.

Staff: Huh? The shape is not important. The end result is the same, and
only the cooks need to worry about it, not the customers.

Why don't you worry about differences that do matter, like the spice
blend, what's in the salad and so on? We are not making a cheeseburger
like the ones you are used to, but the griddle-shape is not one of the
meaningful differences.

Hey, this simile thing is catchy - perhaps we should investigate the
possibilities of the parable next :)

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden