ETH Interface names

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Mon Oct 11 02:02:00 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 22:49 -0300, limaunion wrote:
> Jan Kokoska wrote:
> >>>

> >>Jan, thanks for the tip! it's working now as desired! (eth0=ne2k-pci).
> >>I'm having another problem, my forcedeth card (eth1) isn't initialized
> >>while booting the kernel, shouldn't be loaded automatically ? manually
> >>works; maybe you or someone else can help me again :)
> >

> > Well just add it to /etc/modules (as per last message)? I meant putting
> > both drivers in that file in your desider order. This should work.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jan
> >

> nope, that doesn't work, the card isn't loaded, I'll file a bug in
> bugzilla as suggested by Matt.

And does it say anything at the appropriate place in /var/log/messages?
If "modprobe forcedeth" works for you on command line, there is no
reason why it shouldn't work in /etc/modules. There might be some
unresolved dependencies and if /etc/modprobe gets insmod'ed instead od
modprobe'd you would need to enter the dependencies first.

This is a wild guess though, I would assume it actually does use
modprobe, but frankly I don't know. Your logs can tell. Doesn't look
like a bug.

Regards,
Jan