Suggestions on packages to add to Ubuntu "main"

Tim Hull thully at umich.edu
Sun Oct 10 21:47:34 UTC 2004

I've been giving Ubuntu a whirl on my laptop, and I've been
reporting bugs as I come across them.  Overall it works well
(this is the first distribution to seamlessly set up the Intel
2200 Wi-FI that I've used).  I have a few suggestions on packages
to add to Ubuntu "main" (I know about universe, and I use it, but
would just like them to be officially supported packages and be included
on the install CD.

First of all, include all kernel variants (386,686,k7 etc).  I think
only 386 was on the CD.  Also, include all source/headers and basic
compiler tools so that we can compile drivers from other sources without
downloading anything (as sometimes the drivers in question are
networking-related drivers, and it's quite hard to download a compiler
to compile your network drivers (for example, if you don't have a wired
LAN connection and want to install extra wi-fi drivers or winmodem
drivers).  Also, include some winmodem drivers in "restricted" if at all
possible.  In addition to this, I'd also like to see at least a base KDE
install, and possibly some form of emacs, in main.  There seems to be
plenty of space on 1 CD for this, as the current ISO is around 500MB.

  I know that nothing can be done for the Warty release (since it it
imminent), but it would be nice for future releases.