librrd0-dev missing from Ubuntu - intention or accident?

Martin Maney ubuntu at two14.net
Sun Oct 10 02:49:41 UTC 2004

Somehow all these years I'd never really noticed how very very easy it
is to fetch and build missing packages - perhaps because the things
I've needed to build were either backports or not packaged for Debian
at all.  Anyway, I wanted lm-sensors (itself a candidate for inclusion
in Hoary, I would think), and it ran me into the lack of librrd0-dev.
I know Ubuntu is aimed at users who don't generally *need* development
tools, but surely it isn't actually policy to omit -dev versions of
libraries that are in the distro?  I've not run into a case like this
up until now (lm-sensors build-deps on librrd0-dev, but only librrd0 is
in warty).

Oh - maybe this will prove to be counterproductive, but for the moment
I'm approaching universe the same way I've long handled backports and
other non-standard packages, with a local build from source, populating
a local repository.  Since I expect that I'll end up with Ubuntu on at
least three machines here and a couple others in the lab (or none at
all, as I don't care to support two different desktop environments in
the long run), I prefer to manage my own binary packages.  That seems
appropriate when there's no upstream support.

--
People make secure systems insecure because
insecure systems do what people want and