Lucent Winmodem

Bill Christiansen bill.christiansen at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 7 11:02:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:55 +1000, Frank Daley wrote:
> Bill, thanks for starter points you posted on Ubuntu mailing list.
>
> I'm hoping you might see your way clear to write up a step-by-step
> guide that explains how to complete each step.
>
> For example, you say "After installing the kernel headers and gcc I
> compiled the ltmodem.ko ....."
>
> However Linux newbies like me don't know what that means. What do I
> have to do to install kernel headers, etc?
>
> Realize this is big ask, but if you did such a step-by-step, would be
> just brilliant.
>
> I have just installed Ubuntu and really hoping to get modem on my IBM
> notebook going in another week.
>
> If you can help, would be most thankful.
>
> -- Frank

1) Install kernel headers:
In a root terminal use the uname -r command to find your kernel version,
it will return a number like 2.6.8.1-3-386. Use this number to install
the kernel headers: apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-386
(assuming you have access to a lan connection since your modem wont be
working yet).

To make the headers easier for the source to find, create a symbolic
link to /usr/src/linux:
In a root terminal type:
ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-386 /usr/src/linux

2) Download the ltmodem source:
http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/ltmodem-8.31a8.tar.gz
Extract the source (you can open the compressed file in your home
directory and click on extract)

Open a root terminal again and cd to the directory that contains the
source. You will find a file called build_deb. You need to put a "dot
slash" in front of it to run it: ./build_deb
When the process is complete you will find a
ltmodem-2.6.8.1-3-386_8.31a8_i386.deb file has been created. You can
install this file with: dpkg -i ltmodem-2.6.8.1-3-386_8.31a8_i386.deb

3) I would make a copy of the device node ttyLT0 that is created in /dev
to prevent it getting lost when you reboot. I put it in a folder
called /modem and then added a couple of lines to /etc/udev/links.conf
to recreate it in /dev. (But I was guessing here so it may not be the
recommended way).
L ttyLT0	/modem/ttyLT0
L modem		/modem/ttyLT0

4) Try modprobe lt_serial to see if the driver loads without error. You
can then use lsmod to see if lt_serial and lt_modem are loaded. If you
want it to auto-load the driver add lt_serial to the /etc/modules file.

5) apt-get install wvdial

6) Under System Configuration -> Networking, setup your dial-up
connection. You may also want to install a gui dialer like gkdial.