how to boot without X

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Thu Oct 7 00:36:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 08:08:31AM +0800, John wrote:

> That is your opinion. Judging from Red Hat's server configurations and
> the tools RH has written to support the server configurations, there's a
> substantial body of users who disagree with you.

Our goals differ in fundamental ways from those of Red Hat, so arguments of
this form are unlikely to carry much weight.

> One of the other users complained that neither the workstation nor
> enterprise versions met their needs because the use they wanted was a
> shared concurrent-user (hundreds, thousands - I don't remember but lots)
> workstation with all the server software.
>
> I myself have used my Athlon that way. I would categorise such a system
> as a server; certainly it's not a personal system, whether desktop or
> workstation.
>
> Your POV is valid, but others have goor arguments for their views too.

Of course.  This is why we provide extensive customization capabilities,
especially in the packaging system, which allow you to select exactly what
software you want on your server.

When it comes to defaults, we aim for the greatest common factor.

--
 - mdz