how to boot without X

Jim Cheetham jim at iNode.co.nz
Wed Oct 6 22:33:40 UTC 2004

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:
> 	because ubuntu is so easy to install the idea of using as a firewall
> or netsec platform appeals to me and i
> 	would like to kill X at will on such a box but use it when needed.

Cool - either ignore the GDM login screen, and press ctrl-alt-F1 to get
a text console (and then issue 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop') or just
remove the /etc/rc?.d/S*gdm links, and run 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start'
whenever you want the X login screen to start up.

But, IHMO, "being easy to install" is a terrible reason to select an OS
to use as a firewall. "Having no extra software" is a good reason - use
IPCop for a firewall.

However, using a general-purpose OS as a *gateway* ... now that is a
good idea. Gateway machines *provide* services, firewalls *deny* them. I
traditionally use a Debian base install (with no tasksel or dselect
options) for gateway machines, and just add in the individual packages I
need (logcheck being one essential ...)

Installing Ububtu without any X at all would be a decent choice for a
gateway box ...

-jim