how to boot without X

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Wed Oct 6 22:17:03 UTC 2004

matt,

	i dont dis-agree that the gui is hear to stay in some form or
fashion but i cant tell you how many times
	its saved my bacon.

	this is not a flame but text runlevels are not a holdover from linux
but from even older unix which i really don't
	think was or is a problem.

	look,  we all dont use our desktops for the same reason.....even on
windoze, sun, sgi the cmd line is always useful
	and is usually a LOT more responsive to commands the a gui.

	because ubuntu is so easy to install the idea of using as a firewall
or netsec platform appeals to me and i
	would like to kill X at will on such a box but use it when needed.

	even winsucks recognizes the need for text entry.

	versatility and flexibility are the life blood of linux.

	i think a compromise would still usefull....

	besides a gui is a lot more code heavy then a cmd line and netsec
101 states that the smaller the code logically
	the less chance of insects or unwelcome visitors.

	# Network Engineering/Architecture,61CS/SCBN #