<sigh> Ubuntu installer is taunting me

Bob D. bob_beyng553 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 6 13:36:52 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Some quick background:

1) I've been using Linux for ~1 month (I'm new).

2) I'm installing as a dual boot with XP Pro

3) Hard drive layout:

SDA = 80GB PATA HD (logical) on ICH5 SATA port via PATA/SATA adapter,
(1) ~74GB NTFS data partition.

SDB = 80GB PATA HD (logical) on ICH5 SATA port via PATA/SATA adapter,
(1) ~54GB FAT32 data partition, (1) ~20GB ext3 partition for
Ubuntu /home

SDC = 18GB SCSI HD (primary) on PCI host adapter, (1) ~10GB NTFS
partition for XP and programs, (1) ~7GB ext3 partition for Ubuntu /, and
(1) ~335MB partition for Ubuntu swap (1GB RAM)

**************************

Problem:

When the system tries to do the stage 2 install reboot, it stops at a
prompt telling me the "NTLDR is missing." Looks like the system isn't
seeing Grub or the XP bootloader at this point.

Issue:

It seems like GRUB is being installed on the wrong HD by the installer.

This is the second time I've been down this path trying to install
Ubuntu on this box and getting stopped at the stage 2 reboot. I can
install and dual boot Fedora Core 2 on this box without issue, but the
Anaconda installer shows me where Grub will be installed and what
partition is my default boot. The Ubuntu installer sees that I have XP.
The installer tells me it will install Grub (I tell it to put Grub in
the MBR) "of the first hard drive" and then shows hd0,... as it installs
Grub. Looking at the system in Partition Magic, it appears the / ext3
partition on SDC is the active partition.

Questions:

a) How do I recover from where I'm stopped or,

b) How do I reinstall and get the option to tell the Ubuntu installer
where to install Grub (expert mode?). I would assume this should be in
the MBR of SCSI disk where both XP and Ubuntu's / partition are located
(SDC).

Any and all replies, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.

Bob